The mission of the 3rd Health Support Battalion is to generate individual reinforcement and high end specialist training effects in direct support of Australian Defence Force Combat Health elements.
The primary focus is to provide highly trained health professionals to enhance the full time Role 2+ health support and to also provide raise, train, and sustain activities for required dependencies.
The role of the 3rd Health Support Battalion is to provide individual health care specialists to carry out Role2+ Health Support. This includes execution of the following tasks:
• Management of specialist Army Reserve Health Capability within Forces Command,
• Actively assist in the recruitment and retention of Army Health Professionals,
• Provision of individual reinforcements for all Health Support Roles,
• Provision of specialist health training support to Forces Command,
• Provision of subject matter expertise for deployable Health Force Certification, and
• Provision of an administrative structure to capture all Australian Regular Army Health personnel transferring to the Army Reserve.
Members of the unit have recently served on almost every Australian Defence Force Operation and humanitarian deployment in the last 20 years.
The current structure of 3rd Health Support Battalion is:
• Battalion Headquarters (Adelaide)
• 1st Health Support Company (Sydney)
• 3rd Health Support Company (Adelaide)
• 6th Health Support Company (Victoria/Tasmania)
The motto of 3rd Health Support Battalion is 'Promoting Health, Providing Care'.